If you or your loved one is coming to hospital for surgery you have probably got lots of questions.
Use our information below to help you plan for your surgery at Canberra Hospital.
We also have information about your stay at Canberra Hospital and what happens after you leave.
Before you arrive
If your doctor has requested you have elective surgery at Canberra Hospital we have information about how the elective surgery waiting list works, as well as some advice on how you can prepare and plan for your surgical date.
- Public elective surgery and the waiting list
- Once you have been placed on the waiting list
- Your surgery date
- Preadmission clinic
- Planning for your surgery
- On the day of your surgery
- Rights and responsibilities
- Will I have to pay for my care?
- Things to arrange before you arrive
- What to pack for hospital
- Getting here and getting around
- Help for individual needs
- Changes due to COVID-19
During your stay
Whether you are a patient, a friend or family member there are a few things that are handy to know to make your stay or visit at Canberra Hospital more comfortable.
After your stay
Once you have left hospital there are some things that you might need to arrange. You may have ongoing medications and follow up appointments with your care team and your GP. We have some information to help you make these arrangements.